Tuesday, March 1, 2011

HERE WE GOOO! BACK TO THE PENN MUSEUM!

So after sitting and looking at the same creepy Japanese deity statue again, I started to realize that it probably was the creepiness that attracted me to it in the first place. I mean, it really was the creepiest piece in the room, right in the center, clearly the focal point. Probably why I gravitated towards it first. There aren't a lot of different colors, but the shape definitely screams, 'LOOK AT ME'. All those crazy flames and the geometric pedestal, not to mention all that shiny gold! That definitely had me inspecting it closer for sure! Overall, it kind of reminded me of the Disney movie Mulan. Not sure if that had anything to do with why I liked it....I do love that movie. But I digress. ANYWAY, couldn't really smell much other than Cori's cherry eucalyptus flavored cough drops. Gross. Didn't really affect my viewing experience though. As scale goes, the piece isn't that big, but it was bigger than any of the surrounding pieces, so it kind of automatically grabbed attention that way too. The expression of the statue too really draws the eye. And not necessarily in a good way either. Once you make eye contact with that thing, it's like it stares you down for all eternity. Seriously, you can't escape. Unless you turn the corner and sprint away. That would work. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment